Five Positive Things That Happen When You Stop Drinking Alcohol
It is hard to quit drinking alcohol when it has become a normal part of your life, but the benefits are well worth the effort. What will your life look like if you stop drinking? Consider these five positive results you can expect when you quit drinking:
- You will have more money. Almost immediately, you will notice that you have more cash, because alcohol is not cheap, especially if you are drinking at a bar or restaurant. Take a few minutes and honestly estimate how many drinks you have had over the last week, along with the total money spent, including taxes, tips and gas. Then multiply that amount by 52 weeks. Checking your bank and credit card statements can show how much you really spend. It can be a revelation how much money you can save when you crunch the numbers.
- You will sleep more soundly and feel rested. You may have the misconception that alcohol helps you fall asleep more quickly and deeply. It may seem that way, but in reality, drinking seriously impairs sleep quality. You may toss and turn a bit at first, but giving up drinking alcohol will likely leave you feeling more refreshed and your mind sharp. With better, regular sleep, you will be surprised at your improved mood, concentration, and mental performance.
- You will probably lose some weight. Alcohol is full of empty calories, especially some of the fancy cocktails, which can have hundreds of calories each. Knocking off a six pack or half case of beer adds up too. In addition, people who are drinking tend to snack and eat more. Replacing alcoholic drinks with water will not only help fill you up, but is a healthy habit. Just be careful not to replace drinking with binge eating in an effort to numb your feelings.
- Expect you skin and face to look and feel better. You may have noticed ruddiness around the checks and noses of alcoholics and heavy drinkers, or maybe their leathery looking skin. Alcohol is a diuretic, causing you to urinate more, dehydrating the skin and making it harder for your body to reabsorb the water that it needs. When you quit drinking, after just a few days you will notice your skin looking and feeling more hydrated. Dry and red skin will gradually fade.
- Your overall health will improve. Alcohol use is linked to an increased risk for developing a wide range of diseases such as cancer, depression, heart disease, and diabetes, not to mention the possibility of alcohol poisoning and possible death. Over time, organs like the liver and stomach are damaged from alcohol abuse; but the body has an amazing ability to heal itself when given the chance. Stop drinking alcohol and the body will immediately begin to heal as much as possible.